We’ve been getting a lot of questions about the new CompTIA DataSys+ certification, and we want to make sure you have the answers you need to decide whether or not it’s right for you. In this article, we’re answering some of your biggest questions.
What Is CompTIA DataSys+?
CompTIA DataSys+ is a certification that proves data management professionals have the skills needed to do the job securely, accurately and efficiently. It covers what database administrators (DBAs) need to deploy, manage and maintain systems, including employing the fundamentals of scripting and programming in a database environment while using security and business continuity best practices.
With the end goal of overseeing, maintaining and protecting the increasing quantity of data available to organizations, candidates who earn CompTIA DataSys+ have the hands-on knowledge and skills required to do the following:
- Design and model databases to meet a specific organizational need
- Execute database tasks, including processing and structuring data files, running routines, etc.
- Install, configure and maintain database software and tools for optimal performance
- Establish and maintain sound security, backup and recovery policies and procedures
- Work with business owners to translate data into actionable intelligence
What’s on the CompTIA DataSys+ Exam?
The CompTIA DataSys+ exam will include topics on:
- Database structure types
- How to develop, modify and run code
- How to gather, store and drive data assets
- The different aspects of database planning and design
- The various phases of the implementation, testing and deployment of data
- The purpose of monitoring and reporting database performance
- Common database maintenance processes
- How to produce critical documentation
- How to secure databases, protect against attacks and control authorization while ensuring governance and regulatory compliance
- How to prepare and recover from incidents by implementing best practices for backup and restoration of data
But you won’t just learn in theory. Because you learn and test with performance-based questions, you will be able to prove your skills in real-world scenarios, meaning you can jump right in and add value to any organization.
Here’s how these skills break out across the five domains:
Database Fundamentals: Learn database structure
Database Deployment: Learn the different aspects of
|Database Management and Maintenance: Learn the |
purpose of monitoring and reporting database performance,
as well as common database maintenance processes.
|Data and Database Security: Learn how to secure |
databases, protect against attacks and control authorization
while ensuring governance and regulatory compliance.
|Business Continuity: Learn how to prepare for and |
recover from incidents by implementing best practices
for backup and restoration of data.
These domains relate back to the primary job of a database administrator, which is to manage all aspects of an organized database environment.
Download the exam objectives for free to find out everything that’s covered.
How Much Does CompTIA DataSys+ Cost?
How Can I Train and Prepare for CompTIA DataSys+?
CompTIA has a full suite of training products to help you learn and practice the skills you need to prepare and pass your certification exam:
- CompTIA CertMaster Learn: Learn at your pace with interactive lessons and videos
- CompTIA CertMaster Labs: Get hands-on practice using real software applications
- CompTIA CertMaster Practice: Test your knowledge and find out if you’re ready for the exam
- The Official CompTIA Study Guide: Offered in both print and digital form, learn and review exam objectives with our comprehensive textbook
All CompTIA training solutions are available for purchase at the CompTIA Store.
How Much Time Will I Need to Prepare for CompTIA DataSys+?
The amount of time you’ll need to prepare for CompTIA DataSys+ depends on your existing knowledge of the topics and your hands-on data management experience. We recommend that you have 2-3 years of hands-on experience working as a database administrator or equivalent experience. We also suggest that you dedicate between 30 and 40 hours of studying before taking the exam.
Why Would I Choose CompTIA DataSys+ Over Other Data Certifications?
CompTIA DataSys+ is the only option for developing and validating data systems skills.
And CompTIA exams are developed through an intensive process that includes workshops where IT pros come together and discuss what current knowledge, skills and abilities are required to perform certain job roles. So, the topics covered by CompTIA DataSys+ match the knowledge, skills and abilities database administrators need today.
Additionally, CompTIA DataSys+ is a vendor-neutral certification, which means that the knowledge and skills you learn can be used to perform various job roles regardless of the specific programs and tools being used. Vendor-specific certifications, on the other hand, only prepare you to work with just one platform.
CompTIA DataSys+ certification shows employers you have a standardized skill set to transition to a data management role. It also shows hiring managers your commitment to staying current with industry trends and addressing organizational needs.
As needs evolve and grow, CompTIA DataSys+ learning provides a consistent solution to develop talent from within. Because of inconsistency in education programs, organizations seeking to hire database administrators can rely on CompTIA DataSys+ certification to validate the skills of candidates.
What's the Difference Between DataSys+ and CompTIA Data+?
|Intended for early-career data analytics professionals tasked with developing and promoting data-driven business decision-making.|
For professionals on the data management career pathway.
For professionals on the data interpretation career pathway.
|Certified CompTIA DataSys+ professionals are qualified for database administrator (DBA) roles. Once in a DBA role, candidates could pursue the role of data engineer as a next step.||Certified CompTIA Data+ professionals are qualified for data analyst roles. Once in a data analyst role, candidates could pursue the role of data scientist as a next step.|
How Long Is CompTIA DataSys+ Good for, and How Can It Be Renewed?
CompTIA DataSys+ is good for three years from the date you earned it and must be renewed before that expiration date. CompTIA offers a number of ways for you to renew your certifications.
You can renew your CompTIA certification by completing a single activity:
- Complete CompTIA CertMaster Continuing Education (CE)
- Earn a higher-level CompTIA certification
- Earn a non-CompTIA IT industry certification
- Pass the latest release of your CompTIA exam
- Compare all single activity options
Alternatively, you can complete a combination of activities to earn the number of CEUs you need to renew your CompTIA certification, such as:
- Earn another CompTIA certification
- Earn non-CompTIA IT industry certifications
- Complete training and higher education
- Participate in IT industry activities
- Publish a relevant article, white paper, blog post or book
- Gain related work experience
CompTIA’s CE program proves that your knowledge has evolved with technology and ensures that you stay current with your skills.
Learn more about what you need to know to renew your CompTIA certification.
How Will I Benefit From CompTIA DataSys+? And Is There Industry Demand?
As the need for data management becomes a broader business imperative, database administrators are becoming commonplace in organizations of all sizes and all industries.
Let’s take a look at some key statistics that prove the increasing demand for database administrators:
- Database administration is a substantial tech occupation category with an estimated base of 144,887 employed U.S. workers in 2023.
- In the last 12 months there were more than 23,400 job postings by U.S. employers for database administrators.
- Employers listed more than 2.1 million job postings in the United States seeking candidates with database-related skills over the past 12 months.
- The need for database administrators will continue to grow, reaching about 163,000 by 2033.
- The 10-year projected growth rate for database administrators is 35% above the national rate.
Source: CompTIA State of the Tech Workforce 2023 | U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics | Lightcast
Ready To Buy CompTIA DataSys+?
Looking for more about CompTIA DataSys+? Check out these articles:
- What Is CompTIA DataSys+?
- 5 Jobs You Could Get With CompTIA DataSys+
- How To Study for CompTIA DataSys+
Get the in-demand skills you need with CompTIA certifications and training solutions. Download the exam objectives to get started.