The CompTIA DataSys+ certification validates that those managing databases can properly collect, store, organize, protect and maintain data throughout its lifecycle to ensure its availability, accuracy, consistency and security. CompTIA DataSys+ is designed for those with 2-3 years of hands-on experience working in a database administrator (DBA) role.
What Is Data Management and Why Is It Important?
Data management is the process of collecting, storing, organizing, maintaining and utilizing data in an efficient and secure manner. It involves implementing policies, procedures and technologies to ensure data integrity, quality, accessibility and security. Data management is crucial because it enables organizations to make informed decisions based on accurate and reliable data, leading to improved business outcomes.
In today's digital age, data has become the lifeblood of the information technology (IT) industry. The rapid growth of data generation and consumption has led to an increased demand for those with critical database administrator skills. Data management plays a crucial role in helping organizations make informed decisions, comply with regulations, drive innovation and derive valuable insights from data analysis.
19 Reasons You Need Data Management Skills
Data management skills are beneficial to both organizations and individuals. Effective data management is essential for organizations to remain competitive and agile. By implementing robust data management practices, organizations can optimize their data assets, streamline operations and make data-driven decisions that drive growth and success. But individuals who have these skills benefit personally as well.
Six Ways Strong Database Management Skills Benefits Database Administrators:
- Getting a job. Strong data management skills demonstrate a DBA's ability to maintain data integrity, security and performance, making them a valuable asset to potential employers.
- Advancing careers. As DBAs gain experience and hone their data management skills, they become more adept at handling complex database tasks, leading to increased responsibilities and career growth opportunities.
- Getting promoted. Demonstrating proficiency of data management skills can lead to recognition and promotion within an organization, as it showcases a DBA's ability to contribute to the company's success.
- Being a hero. DBAs with excellent data management skills can save their organizations from potential data disasters, such as data breaches or loss, earning them a reputation as "heroes" among their colleagues.
- Feeling confident. Proficiency in data management gives DBAs the confidence to tackle complex database challenges and provide valuable insights to their organization.
- Having transferrable skills. Data management skills are highly transferrable across industries and roles, making DBAs with these skills versatile and valuable professionals in the job market.
12 Ways Proper Data Management Skills Benefits an Organization
- Ensuring data accuracy. Proper data management ensures that the data used by an organization is accurate, up-to-date and reliable. This helps in making informed decisions and avoiding costly mistakes.
- Maintaining security. Data management includes implementing security measures to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access, data breaches and cyberattacks. This is crucial for maintaining the trust of customers and stakeholders.
- Assuring regulatory compliance. Organizations must comply with various data protection laws and regulations, such as GDPR and HIPAA. Effective data management helps organizations meet these requirements and avoid legal penalties.
- Controlling accessibility. Data management ensures that the right people have access to the right data at the right time. This enables efficient collaboration and decision-making across the organization.
- Enabling data integration. Data management involves integrating data from various sources and systems, ensuring that it is consistent and compatible. This helps organizations gain a comprehensive view of their operations and make better decisions.
- Providing data analysis and insights. Effective data management allows organizations to analyze their data and derive valuable insights, leading to improved decision-making, increased efficiency and better business outcomes.
- Preparing data backup and recovery. Data management includes creating backup copies of data and implementing recovery plans in case of data loss or system failure. This ensures business continuity and minimizes downtime.
- Overseeing data governance. Data management involves establishing policies, procedures and standards for data handling, ensuring that data is used responsibly and ethically throughout the organization.
- Ensuring data quality. Proper data management helps maintain data quality by identifying and correcting errors, inconsistencies and duplicates. High-quality data is essential for accurate reporting and analysis.
- Generating cost savings. Effective data management can reduce costs by streamlining data storage, reducing data redundancy and improving data processing efficiency.
- Gaining competitive advantage. Organizations that effectively manage their data can gain a competitive advantage by leveraging insights and analytics to drive innovation and improve customer experiences.
- Providing scalability. As organizations grow, their data needs also increase. Effective data management allows organizations to scale their data infrastructure and processes to accommodate this growth, ensuring that they can continue to operate efficiently and effectively.
What Is CompTIA DataSys+?
CompTIA DataSys+ provides a comprehensive set of resources for learning and skills validation to ensure that data management professionals have the skills needed to do the job securely, accurately and efficiently. It covers what database administrators need to deploy, manage and maintain systems, including employing the fundamentals of scripting and programming in a database environment while using security and business continuity best practices.
Covered skills include:
- Designing and modeling databases to meet a specific organizational need
- Executing database tasks, including processing and structuring data files, running routines, etc.
- Installing, configuring and maintaining database software and tools for optimal performance
- Establishing and maintaining sound security, backup and recovery policies and procedures
- Working with key stakeholders to translate data into actionable intelligence
Although CompTIA DataSys+ is designed for those with 2-3 years of experience in a database administrator role, other professionals, such as IT support specialists, software developers, network administrators, and database developer, are well-positioned to pursue a successful career as database administrators.
What Is on the CompTIA DataSys+ Exam?
The CompTIA DataSys+ exam includes both multiple choice and performance-based questions to evaluate a candidate’s skills and ensure that those earning the certification have the required competencies to execute their responsibilities safely, accurately and efficiently. It covers the expertise necessary to deploy, oversee and maintain systems, including the foundational aspects of scripting and programming in a database context while adhering to security standards and business continuity best practices.
CompTIA DataSys+ covers the following skills:
- Understanding database design and structure, including planning, implementation, testing and deployment
- Comparing and contrasting scripting methods and developing, modifying and running SQL code
- Explaining the impact of programming on database operations
- Monitoring and maintaining the data, reporting on and documenting any incidents
- Implementing critical data management tasks
- Securing the data by limiting access and defending against attacks
- Understanding and meeting regulation and governance requirements
- Creating and saving back-ups, and preparing for restoration/disaster recovery
The CompTIA DataSys+ exam domains are:
- Database Fundamentals: Database structure types, using SQL code, comparing scripting methods and the impact of programming
- Database Deployment: Database planning and design, implementation, testing and deployment
- Database Management and Maintenance: Monitoring and reporting, database maintenance, using tools, documenting and data management
- Data and Database Security: Data security concepts, governance and regulatory compliance, authentication and authorization, infrastructure security and protecting against attacks
- Business Continuity: Disaster recovery, backing up and restoring data
What Is the Difference Between CompTIA DataSys+ and CompTIA Data+?
Whereas CompTIA Data+ is for data analysts and focuses on analytics and interpretation, CompTIA DataSys+ is targeted to database administrators (DBAs) and focuses on the logistics of data management and administration.
DBAs ensure that the data is clean, useful, maintained, properly stored, secured, accessible, etc. They are responsible for the integrity of the data. CompTIA DataSys+ confirms that candidates have the skills to do so. Because data analysts interpret the data and give it meaning, CompTIA Data+ focuses on the analytical aspects of data management.
What Are the Benefits of CompTIA DataSys+?
CompTIA DataSys+ is vendor-neutral, so the skills acquired are applicable regardless of the system that the organization is using. For this reason, the skills are also transferable should the organization migrate to a different technology or should the individual move on to a position at another organization.
The demand for capable database administrators is growing. Skilled database administrators are needed to oversee, maintain and protect the increasing quantity of data available to their organizations. As needs evolve and grow, CompTIA DataSys+ learning provides a uniform solution to develop talent from within.
Many people may call themselves database administrators or claim that they have the requisite capabilities, but organizations seeking to hire database administrators can rely on CompTIA DataSys+ certification to validate the skills of candidates.
Database Administrator Salary and Job Outlook
There were more than 23,400 job postings by U.S. employers for database administrators during the 12-month period April 2022 - March 2023, per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). But the demand isn’t limited to those with a “database administrator” title. Employers listed more than 2.1 million job postings in the United States seeking candidates with database-related skills over the 12-month period ending March 2023.
With the growing amount of data available to organizations and as emerging technologies such as ChatGPT, AI and machine learning enter the workplace, this demand is only expected to increase. In fact, the need for database administrators will continue to grow, reaching about 163,000 by 2033. The 10-year projected growth rate for database administrators is 35% above the national rate.
What Are Common Data Management Job Roles?
The primary job role for CompTIA DataSys+ is database administrator, but that job role has many different titles. Some of the most common include:
- Senior database administrator
- System database administrator
- Task-oriented database administrator
- Application database administrator
- Cloud database administrator
- Specialist database administrator
- Database manager
- Database designer
- Performance database administrator
How Much Can I Make with CompTIA DataSys+?
The median pay for data administrators in the United States is over $96,000 per year.
Who Is CompTIA?
CompTIA (The Computing Technology Industry Association) is the leading provider of vendor-neutral IT certifications in the world. With more than 2 million IT certifications issued worldwide, CompTIA is dedicated to helping IT professionals lead the charge in our digitally connected world.
Our certifications have been created by experienced professionals working in the fields covered. CompTIA DataSys+ was developed with the help of teams of active database administrators who know what is needed to succeed in this field.
Ready for a Career in Data Management?
We’ve made it easy to get started planning your path in data management and administration:
- Begin by reading up on the four important steps toward your certification
- Then, learn everything you need to know about CompTIA DataSys+
- And finally, download the exam objectives and practice test questions to start learning right away
CompTIA offers a number of exam training options for CompTIA DataSys+ to fit your particular learning style and schedule, many of which may be used in combination with each other as you prepare for your exam.
There’s a wealth of information to take you from deciding if CompTIA DataSys+ is right for you, all the way to taking your exam. We’re with you every step of the way!
Ready to get started? Learn the skills you need with CompTIA CertMaster Learn + Labs. Sign up for a free 30-day trial today!
Looking for more about CompTIA DataSys+? Check out these articles: