If you’re looking for a job as a Linux administrator, systems administrator or network administrator, CompTIA Linux+ may be for you. CompTIA Linux+ is the only job-focused Linux certification covering the latest foundational skills demanded by hiring managers. To get started, here are some general IT certification study tips followed by a look at the new CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-005) certification exam and training options being released this month.
Step 1: Create a Plan
Before you jump into your CompTIA training solutions, it’s important to first make a plan and consider the following:
- Do you meet the prerequisites? Although there are no hard prerequisites, CompTIA Linux+ is an intermediate-level IT certification and as such, CompTIA recommends 12 months of hands-on experience working with Linux servers in a junior Linux support engineer or junior cloud/DevOps support engineer job role. CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, and CompTIA Server+ or similar certifications and/or knowledge are also recommended.
- Do you have a plan? It pays to be organized and diligent upfront when it comes to successfully passing certification exams. Download your customizable study plan.
- How do you learn best? Consider whether to self-study or attend a course from an authorized training provider. See all your options.
- How will you test yourself? Use practice exams correctly to discover how quickly you take exams and identify areas of weakness for additional study. Check out CertMaster Practice.
Once you’ve answered these questions, you can begin figuring out what you know and what you are unfamiliar with. You can also get started using the training solutions that are right for you. To know what to study, you need to download the exam objectives.
Step 2: Download the CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-005) Exam Objectives
How will you know what to study? Exam preparation begins with the exam objectives. You can download the exam objectives for the new CompTIA Linux+ exam for free.
Identifying areas of strength and weakness helps organize your studying. Read through all the objectives and mark topics that you are comfortable with as well as those you are unfamiliar with. The exam objectives are divided into domains to help with exam preparation.
Here are the new CompTIA Linux+ domains and their relative weights:
Scripting, Containers, and Automation
It’s vital to pay attention to the exam topic percentages, and always remember that troubleshooting is the underlying concept.
Step 3: Learn the Material
Now that you’ve reviewed the exam objectives and have an idea of what you already know and what you need to focus on, it’s time to study. CompTIA offers both self-study and classroom-based training options so that you can choose the method that best meets your needs.
CompTIA CertMaster Learn
CompTIA CertMaster Learn is a comprehensive eLearning solution designed around CompTIA exam objectives. CertMaster Learn is packed with content and features that are designed to help you learn in an engaging and flexible way. It is also organized into a personalized learning plan to help you manage your study time.
CertMaster Learn includes:
- Interactive learning with flashcards and performance-based questions
- Videos that demonstrate key concepts and processes
- Customizable learning plan
- Easy self-assessments
- Learning progress analytics and reporting
Step 4: Work on Getting Hands-on Experience
While CompTIA recommends 12 months of hands-on experience, we acknowledge that many IT pros seek out CompTIA Linux+ as a steppingstone for their career. CompTIA CertMaster Labs for Linux+ provides you with the platform to gain critical hands-on experience, including:
- Configuring and managing software, storage, and process and services
- Analyzing system properties and processes and troubleshooting user, application and hardware issues
- Understanding best practices for permissions and authentication, firewalls and file management
- Creating simple shell scripts and executing basic BASH scripts, version control using Git and orchestration processes
When integrated with CertMaster Learn, CertMaster Labs are displayed as Study Tasks within the CertMaster Learn Learning Plan. As a result, students experience both knowledge acquisition and hands-on skills development through a single login and seamless workflow.
When you purchase a CompTIA Linux+ bundle that includes both CertMaster Learn and CertMaster Labs, you’ll get a seamless integrated experience where you can practice what you’ve learned within the same platform.
Step 5: Get Exam Ready
You’ve learned the material and practiced the skills. Now it’s time to prepare for your exam. You’ll want to become familiar with how questions are presented and get used to the pressure of the clock.
CompTIA CertMaster Practice offers a full, timed practice test experience, including scenario-based multiple-choice and performance-based questions – the same types of questions you’ll encounter when taking the CompTIA Linux+ exam. This is a great feature that enhances the learning process.
Here are a couple of specific recommendations for CertMaster Practice:
- Discover if you tend to be quick or slow when taking exams
- Learn the average time each question takes to complete
- Get comfortable with the interface
- Reinforce knowledge by using study mode (correct answers are displayed immediately)
CertMaster Practice gives you confidence as you go into your exam.
Ready to Get CompTIA Linux+ Certified?
Now you can get started! Take your career to the next level by committing yourself to earning one of the best IT certifications when you sign up for the new CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-005) certification exam. Begin by creating a study plan and understanding the exam objectives and domains. Then, study the topics, practice your hands-on skills and prepare for your exam. These skills will serve you well on nearly any CompTIA exam you decide to pursue.
Learn the skills you need with CompTIA CertMaster Learn + Labs. Sign up for a free trial today!