If you’re familiar with CompTIA, you may know that the + means IT careers. CompTIA IT certifications have a long-standing history of being the industry credentials you need to show employers you have the IT skills they are looking for. Furthermore, our plethora of resources not only help you train and pass your CompTIA certification exam, but they can also help you market yourself, ace your interview and land the job of your dreams. Here are five ways CompTIA can help you get into IT and advance your IT career.
5 Ways + Means IT Careers
1. How to Choose Your CompTIA Certification
CompTIA certifications help IT pros at all levels prove to employers that they have the skills needed to work in IT. CompTIA A+ is the industry standard for establishing a career in IT, and all the certifications along the CompTIA Career Pathway can validate your skills as you move into more advanced or specialized roles.
Our Career Roadmap and the IT Career Center section of the website can help you learn more about what IT jobs are out there, which certifications will help you get them and how to make your next move.
2. How to Study for a CompTIA Certification
CompTIA offers everything you need to prepare for your certification exam – at home, online or in an actual classroom. Many IT pros combine multiple training options to best prepare for their IT certification exam. Choose what work best for you, your learning preferences and your schedule.
- eLearning: CompTIA CertMaster Learn is an interactive and self-paced comprehensive eLearning solution. It includes a customizable learning plan and performance-based questions that take you on a path of consistent learning toward your certification exam.
- Interactive Labs: Acquire the necessary hands-on skills for your certification exam with CompTIA Labs. You will develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter and reinforce the practical aspects of certification exam objectives.
- Integrated Learn and Labs Bundles: Gain the knowledge and apply the practical skills you need seamlessly with the integration of two of our most impactful learning tools –CompTIA CertMaster Learn and CompTIA Labs.
- Exam Prep: CompTIA CertMaster Practice is an adaptive online tool that assesses your knowledge and exam readiness. It confirms the topics you know and focuses your studies on the areas where you need more work, helping you feel more prepared and confident when you go into your IT certification exam.
- Study Guides: Official CompTIA study guides – in printed and digital formats – are packed with informative and accessible content that covers all the exam objectives.
- Instructor-led Training: Whether you’re looking for in-person or online training, CompTIA’s got you covered with instructor-led training. Choose from live online training from CompTIA or in-person training from a CompTIA Authorized Training Provider. You may also qualify for instructor-led programs offered by CompTIA’s charity Creating IT Futures or the CompTIA Tech Career Academy.
Create Your Study Plan.
Download your customizable training worksheet to create your own plan and stick to it!
3. How to Save Money on a CompTIA Certification
Getting an IT certification is an investment in both time and money, and that can be especially difficult if you’re in school or job hunting. CompTIA offers a number of ways to make it easier for you to pay for your training and certifications.
- Voucher Discounts: Bundles, the CompTIA Academic Store, the CompTIA Store Club and the IT Career Newsletter subscriber discounts are just some of the ways you can save money on your CompTIA training and exam voucher. Check out our article on how to save money on your IT certifications for details.
- Financing Options: Did you know you can split up the cost of your CompTIA training products and exam vouchers into smaller payments? The CompTIA Store offers financing from Affirm, with rates as low as 0% that can be paid over 3, 6 or 12 months with no hidden fees. Learn more about CompTIA financing options.
4. How to Take a CompTIA Certification Exam: In Person or Online
Are you more comfortable taking your certification exam in person or online? The choice is yours.
With online testing, you can earn a CompTIA certification online, from your home – or any quiet, distraction-free, secure location – at a time that’s convenient for you. Online testing is available 24/7, giving you a broader scheduling window than in-person training. You can still take your exam in-person at a testing center if you choose to.
Of course, you’re bound to have some questions … but don’t worry, we have answers for you. We’ve compiled some frequently asked questions about procedures and best practices for you to use as a resource as you navigate CompTIA online testing. You can also read about (or watch) Network Chuck’s experience getting CompTIA Linux+ with online testing.
5. How to Get an IT Job with CompTIA Certifications
Once you have a CompTIA certification, you not only have an industry-recognized credential that employers rely on to find qualified candidates, but you also have access to free resources that will help you find and land your dream job in IT.
When you claim your digital badge, you can find job opportunities related to your CompTIA certification. And with CompTIA and ZipRecruiter, you can get tailored email alerts based on your certifications, skills and experience. Additionally, ZipRecruiter now offers Skill Sync to those looking for a new opportunity. When you sync your CompTIA digital badge to your ZipRecruiter profile, you’ll increase your job prospects by enhancing your career profile, highlighting your skills in autofill job applications, getting matched with recommended jobs and getting invited to apply for jobs that fit your skill set.
Find out how.
If you’re new to IT, check out our free resources for displaced workers as well as the Career Change section of our website, which includes quizzes, articles and step-by-step guides to help you get into IT no matter your previous experience.
Wherever you are in your IT career, when you’re ready for your next move, follow these four job search steps:
- Simplify Your Job Hunt: Resume and cover letter templates, LinkedIn and your professional network can all make finding your next job a little easier.
- Perfect Your IT Resume: Knowing what to include and how to write about your skills, experience and credentials will help your resume stand out to employers.
- Write an Effective Cover Letter: Tailor your cover letter to the employer’s needs, quantify your achievements and demonstrate both hard and soft skills to move on to the interview process.
- Rock Your IT Interview: Do your research, prepare your responses and anecdotes, and ask thoughtful questions to impress the hiring manager and get the job.
Even if you aren’t looking to get a certification right now, CompTIA is here for you with free resources that can help you do your job. Just hover over "Resources" in the menu bar and then select Cloud Computing, Computer Networking, Cybersecurity or IT Support and Help Desk to find blog articles, infographics, videos, handbooks and more.
Whether you’re job hunting, looking to upskill or just love to learn, CompTIA is here for you. Stay in touch to get more free resources and news from CompTIA as it becomes available.