CompTIA Cyberstates 2017™ finds state is home to 4,000 tech businesses and nearly 42,000-plus tech professionals
Concord, N.H. – Employment in New Hampshire’s technology industry grew by 2.1 percent in 2016, as employers added an estimated 864 new jobs, according to Cyberstates 2017™, the definitive annual analysis of the nation’s tech industry released today by CompTIA, the world’s leading technology industry association.
With an estimated 41,846 workers, New Hampshire ranks 33rd among the 50 states for tech industry employment.
Technology occupations across all other industries in New Hampshire – the second component of the tech workforce – reached an estimated 39,300 in 2016.
The tech sector accounts for an estimated 10.1 percent ($7.5 billion) of the New Hampshire economy.
The annualized average wage for a tech industry worker in New Hampshire was an estimated $100,200 in 2016, 88 percent higher than the average state wage ($53,300). New Hampshire ranks 14th nationally in average tech industry wages.
Other Key Findings
- New Hampshire ranks 21st among all states in the Cyberstates 2017 Innovation Score, which is based on an analysis of new tech patents, tech startups and new tech business establishments on a per capita basis.
- The state is home to an estimated 4,058 tech business establishments.
- The tech industry employs an estimated 6.5 percent of the overall state workforce.
- Leading tech occupations include application software developers (4,870), computer user support specialists (2,500) and computer systems analysts (2,240).
- The strongest year-over-year job growth occurred in the categories of engineering services (+ 6.1 percent), telecommunications services (+ 2.5 percent) and computer systems design and IT services (+ 2.2 percent).
- Employers posted an estimated 2,611 job openings for tech occupations in Q4 2016.
Cyberstates 2017 is based on CompTIA’s analysis of data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, EMSI, and other sources. Estimates for 2016 are subject to change as government data is revised and updated. The complete report with full national, state and metropolitan level data is available at http://www.cyberstates.org/.
The complete report with full national, state and metropolitan level data is available at http://www.cyberstates.org/.
CompTIA: Building the Foundation for Technology's Future
The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) is the world's leading technology association, with approximately 2,000 member companies, 3,000 academic and training partners, over 100,000 registered users and more than two million IT certifications issued. CompTIA's unparalleled range of programs foster workforce skills development and generate critical knowledge and insight – building the foundation for technology’s future. Visit CompTIA online, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to learn more.