CompTIA Cyberstates 2017™ finds state is home to 3,100 tech businesses and 34,000-plus tech professionals
Lincoln, Neb. – Employment in Nebraska’s technology industry grew by 2.5 percent in 2016, as employers added an estimated 825 new jobs, according to Cyberstates 2017™, the definitive annual analysis of the nation’s tech industry released today by CompTIA, the world’s leading technology industry association.
With an estimated 34,220 workers, Nebraska ranks 36th among the 50 states in tech industry employment.
Technology occupations across all other industries in Nebraska – the second component of the tech workforce – reached an estimated 32,100 in 2016.
The tech sector accounts for an estimated 4 percent ($4.5 billion) of the Nebraska economy.
The annualized average wage for a tech industry worker in Nebraska was an estimated $73,900 in 2016, 72 percent higher than the average state wage ($43,100).
Other Key Findings
- Nebraska ranks 34th among all states in the Cyberstates 2017 Innovation Score, which is based on an analysis of new tech patents, tech startups and new tech business establishments on a per capita basis.
- The state is home to an estimated 3,112 tech business establishments.
- The tech industry employs an estimated 3.5 percent of the overall state workforce.
- Leading tech occupations include application software developers (4,940), computer user support specialists (4,190) and computer systems analysts (3,530).
- The strongest year-over-year job growth occurred in the categories of electronic components manufacturing (+ 9.6 percent), telecommunications services (+ 6.4 percent) and Internet services (+ 2.4 percent).
- Employers across Nebraska posted an estimated 3,183 job openings for tech occupations in Q4 2016.
Cyberstates 2017 is based on CompTIA’s analysis of data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, EMSI, and other sources. Estimates for 2016 are subject to change as government data is revised and updated. The complete report with full national, state and metropolitan level data is available at http://www.cyberstates.org/.
The complete report with full national, state and metropolitan level data is available at http://www.cyberstates.org/.
CompTIA: Building the Foundation for Technology's Future
The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) is the world's leading technology association, with approximately 2,000 member companies, 3,000 academic and training partners, over 100,000 registered users and more than two million IT certifications issued. CompTIA's unparalleled range of programs foster workforce skills development and generate critical knowledge and insight – building the foundation for technology’s future. Visit CompTIA online, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to learn more.