Partnership targets underserved populations, including young adults and veterans, with career training programs in software development
BOULDER, Colo. — Techtonic Academy, a division of Boulder-based Techtonic Group, has partnered with the Creating IT Futures Foundation, the philanthropic arm of IT industry association CompTIA, to provide training and apprenticeships in software development.
Techtonic Academy addresses the shortage of entry-level software developers facing many businesses, both in Colorado and nationwide. Traditional paths to training — like universities, community colleges or software training “bootcamps” — are not viable for those needing full-time employment or who cannot afford tuition or fees. Techtonic Academy doesn’t charge for training, and those accepted are paid a salary while they work side-by-side with senior developers to gain coding experience.
The partnership allows both groups to reach more individuals and companies across the United States. Creating IT Futures traditionally focuses on the hardware and services sector of the IT technology field and is now able to expand its training and career programs into the software development sector.
“We are thrilled to partner with the Creating IT Futures Foundation because they share our passion for providing underserved populations, young adults and veterans with new, thriving career opportunities in the booming technology industry,” said Heather Terenzio, co-founder and CEO, Techtonic Group. “When a company chooses to work with Techtonic Group over a myriad of other outsourcing options, they know they are going to get a commercial grade, quality product while helping to bring veterans and opportunity youth into the technology field.”
Both Techtonic Academy and the Creating IT Futures Foundation offer non-traditional training programs that allow students the opportunity to gain real-life work experience in the field while completing the program. In-field training helps trainees establish valuable working relationships, advance their skill levels and increase the opportunity for post-graduation employment.
“More than one million IT jobs are open in the U.S., with 60 percent of those jobs in the hardware/services side of the industry and the other 40 percent in software development. Our foundation focuses primarily on training and staffing the hardware and services side of technology IT jobs, and it’s exciting to partner with Techtonic, which trains and staffs the software development field,” said Charles Eaton, CEO of Creating IT Futures Foundation. “Together, we can unite our efforts and expand the tech workforce across the spectrum of IT occupations.”
About Techtonic Academy
Techtonic Academy is a division of Techtonic Group, which was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado. The company provides software and mobile application development to a diverse customer base — from hospital information systems to e-learning, financial services to new media. The company's Techtonic Academy is a unique training program that equips disconnected youth and military veterans with software development skills and new career paths through training, mentoring and hands-on project work. For more, please visit http://www.techtonicgroup.com.
About the Creating IT Futures Foundation
As the philanthropic arm of CompTIA, the world’s largest IT trade association, the Creating IT Futures Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charity with the mission of helping populations under-represented in the information technology industry and individuals who are lacking in opportunity to prepare for, secure, and be successful in IT careers. Learn more at CreatingITFutures.org.
Metzger Albee Public Relations
Creating IT Futures Foundation